Veterans Gardens use Colleoni Italian surfaces, the creators of the finest surfaces in the world.
Palisades Senior League Rules
These are the Rules for Senior League Play at Palisades Bocce Club.
We celebrate the great tradition of bocce as a sport played by ladies and gentleman, enjoyed with a dignity and respect deserving of this great game.
LEAGUE PLAY + STRUCTURE
- League plays on Tuesdays; 11 AM and 12:15.
- 8 teams in the league.
- Top 4 teams make the playoffs for the bucket-list absolute thrill of lifetime of kissing “The Bocce Cup.”
- League standings are determined by won/loss matches. In the event of a tie in the standings, we tally head-to-head matchups. If that is still even, it’s the number of games a team has won (taking a match to 3 games is better than losing in 2 games).
GAMES + MATCHES
- A game is first to 6 points. A match is ‘best of three’ games. If you win the first two games, the match is over. Time to celebrate.
- Each team must have at least 7 players on their roster (but the more, the merrier).
- A team must field 4 players for a match – yet, a team can play as many as 8 in a given game, and any number in a given match.
- Players on a team can substitute for other players on a team at the end of a game in a match.
- If a team only has 4 players for a match, 2 players play on each end of the court. 6 or more players on a team for a match is the ‘preferred’ number of players. If three players are on one end of the court, one of the three players can roll twice.
- Each team has a Captain. The Captain is the primary contact with the Commissioner, Jimmy Dunne.
- A Captain’s responsibility is to share all league information with their players.
- Each week, the Captain is responsible to make sure that their team has at least 4 players that will be playing.
- The Captain (or designated player) will have a sheet to turn in the scores of their match (and team lineup).
GUESTS AND SUBSTITUTES
- A team can have substitute players for a match, but substitute players can’t already play on another team in the league.
TIMING + FORFEITS
- Matches start promptly at 11 AM and 12:15.
- Warm-ups are usually the 15 minutes before a match.
- If a team doesn’t have at least 4 players 10 minutes after the start time, they forfeit Game 1. A team forfeits Game 2 (and the match) 20 minutes later. Rules apply for all matches unless a game starts late. If so, the 10 minute clock starts once the previous game finishes.
- Playoff matches play out all games.
- If a match isn’t finished at 55 minutes of play, once they complete the existing frame, it’s a 2-frame ‘sudden death.’ Team with the highest score wins the game (if it’s a tie at that point, one frame decides the winner of the game.) Each subsequent game to finish the match also is in a two-frame ‘sudden death.’
- Winning team receives one of the highest honors in all of sports; getting their picture and name inscribed on the Senior League’s “Bocce Cup.”
- What more do you want in life than that?
Please contact Commissioner Jimmy Dunne with your fantastic ideas.